We have the continuation of our Glossary Lingerie T-Z at buy lingerie online. If you missed it check out our glossary lingerie P-S.
Glossary Lingerie T-Z
- This is the other name for a contour bra. Like a molded bra, the cups are seamless with a thin layer of foam included for shape and modesty against nipple show-through when wearing form-fitting tops. T-shirt bras are always seamless, have contour cups, and have no lace or ornamentation.
- A tanga is between a bikini and a thong. A tanga has narrower back coverage than a traditional panty, but is not as narrow as a thong. Tangas are a more common silhouette in Europe. They are also a comfortable transition from a bikini before attempting a thong.
- A panty styled like short shorts with a small flair at the hem. Frequently sold with coordinating bra or camisole. May be worn as a slip for shorter skirt styles.
- A camisole and panty combined into one piece. It can be fitted to the body or loose. Is worn either under clothing or as sleepwear.
- A panty with a narrow strip of fabric in the back that begins as a “v” shape at the waistband and then tapers to a thin strip by the time it reaches the crotch. The cheeks of your bottom are thus exposed. This style panty is great if you want no visible panty lines and a smooth appearance.
- Features the comfort of a brief with the benefits of a thong. A thongboy provides coverage over the top back cheeks, but quickly reduces to a thong style when going through the crotch. Think of the thongboy as a boyshort with a thong back panel.
- These are pantyhose made of a heavier denier in opaque or semi-opaque yarns. They are dyed usually in deep colors, and they are more sporty and durable than pantyhose.
- A torsette is shapewear that does not cover the bust area. This allows you to wear your own bra, and has the added advantage of not compressing your breasts. Torsettes also give added support to your bra. Camisoles, body briefers and slips may all have torsette styling. A torsette can be a great shapewear solution for petite and tall women because the shoulder straps can be adjusted.
- A torsolette has a lace-up or hook-and-eye closure, and boning or vertical seams for structure and support. It may or may not have bra cups, detachable garters, or suspenders. It is sometimes called a “merry widow.”
- A seam in the cup of a bra that runs in a semi-circle or arc shape is called a transversal seam. This seam design helps to give the cup and breast a rounded (rather than pointed) shape.
- A triangle bra has triangle shaped cups, which offer the perfect amount of coverage/support for petite to average figures. Triangle bras may be padded or lined but generally do not have underwires. Most have thin straps. The bottom of the bra is many times gathered along a drawstring-like base.
- The garments collected by a bride for her wedding and honeymoon.
- Another name for a control brief.
- This term refers to the very light deniers which are very light transparency and high sheen. Usually made of 100% non-stretch nylon. Some Lycra /nylon yarns of less than 8 denier can be ultra-sheer.
- See pantliner.
- Bras with sewn-in molded wiring that runs underneath the breast in each bra cup. This support feature helps to lift, separate and shore up the bustline for better shape and extra support- especially for full-figured women. There are many different types of materials used in underwire bras today. The underwire can now be a flexible wire, a plastic coated piece of metal, or a molded plastic shape.
- Ultra-violet Protection Factor – Ultra-violet Protection Factor – a rating system that measures the UV protection of which is provided by the fabric. Similar to the SPF rating system used in sunscreens. For example, a fabric rated UPF 30 means that if 30 units of UV rays fall on the fabric, only one unit will pass through.
- Soft plush fabric with a close, dense pile.
- Waist nippers offer firm control of the waist and tummy. They are a boned garment that starts under the bust and goes down to the waist or over the hips. Generally it closes in front with hooks. It is the perfect shape wear item for a woman seeking to create an hourglass figure under slim fitting clothing.
- A bra style with widely-spaced shoulder straps to accommodate a boatneck or wide squared neckline.
- The side/back panel of a bra that counter balances the front so it can uplift and support the breasts.
- Woven fabrics are made from two pieces of yarn that are stretched out over a loom and woven together in both horizontal and vertical directions. They do not stretch because their fibers run at 45-degree angles to one another. Woven fabrics include linen, denim, twill, satin, chiffon, corduroy, tweed and canvas.